I remember going to my friend Courtney’s house as a little girl and seeing her spread this brown stuff on saltine crackers. I thought she was going crazy. Then she made me eat it (what a good friend!) and my life was changed forever. Apple Butter!
When I think of apple butter I usually think of the fall, but when Musselman’s asked us to create a dish for the upcoming Big Summer Potluck, I thought why not!?! And you know what? I realized apple butter doesn’t just have to be a fall food. You can use it in so many different types of food like cakes, barbeque sauce (I’m definitely trying that one), marinades, and of course BAKED BRIE.
This is the simplest recipe with just a few ingredients. Start with some puff pastry and brie. I used baby brie bites, but you can use a whole brie wheel. My brie was about 2 inches across and I used a circle cutter that was about 3 inches to cut my puff pastry, but again you can find what works for you. I also stretched my puff pastry out a little so it was flexible and easy to pull around the brie.
Then comes the surprise! Apple butter and pecans. Once you have that on there, you can bundle it up in a nice little brie purse.
Then lather, rinse, repeat OR just lather the rest of the brie bites with apple butter and plop that beautiful little pecan on there. Pop them in the oven and voila-you have a fabulous appetizer to share with your friends.
You can slather this goodness on some slices of bread or even better, cinnamon raisin bagel chips. Trust me…it’s heaven.
Apple Butter Baked Brie Bites Recipe
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 5 0.9 oz brie bites (I bought mine from Trader Joe’s…you can also use a regular size wheel)
- 5 teaspoons Mussleman’s Apple Butter, divided
- 5 pecans
- Defrost puff pastry according to package directions.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.Using a circle cookie cutter, or other circular object cut 5 circles in the defrosted puff pastry. If you are using a regular size wheel of brie, you can skip this part.
- Place each brie in the middle of a puff pastry circle.Using a knife, spread 1 teaspoon of apple butter over the brie.Place a pecan on top of the brie.
- Pull the puff pastry up around the edges a bunch together at the top to form a little bundle.Bake for 20 minutes or until puff pastry is cooked and browned.Allow to cool slightly before serving with fresh bread or cinnamon raisin bagel chips.
Leave a Reply