Want the best tasting easy Spanish rice recipe that will compliment your Mexican food? Well, here it is. This recipe creates a great moist and tender rice that will keep everyone coming back for more.
When I had my Mexican cafe several years ago, I had a girl working for me and her mother was an extraordinary cook. She showed me the secret to moist and tasty Mexican rice.
She liked the fact the someone was interested in her cooking skills. She never actually wrote down her recipes. She just kind of had the feel for how much of each ingredient to use. I learned by watching her. She was responsible for my success in mastering the technique of Mexican cooking.
The secret to great tasting rice, is using a chicken base powder. I used to buy it in bulk from a restaurant supply store. You can get it in the grocery store, but the one in the store is not quite as concentrated as the restaurant quality one. You will have to experiment with your use to see what tastes best to you.
Spanish Rice Recipe
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 cup of long white rice
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 tsps chicken base granules or powder
- 1 1/2 tbls achiote red paste seasoning (can be found in Hispanic markets)
- 2 tbls chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and chopped,(optional) this will give the rice some heat
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet (for some reason this rice turns out better when cooked in a skillet rather than a pot)over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add the rice and saute until lighly browned.
- Boil two cups of water and add chicken base granules, cilantro and achiote seasoning paste, breaking it up into small pieces with your fingers so that it will dissolve. Some of it will not be totally dissolved. Not to worry, it still does its job. Pour the boiling water over the rice. Cover, reduce hear to low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Serve. It enhances any Mexican dish you pair it with.