Taste the best roast chicken recipe ever. A quick and easy superb tasting meal. Chicken, potatoes and other veggies are cooked in the oven as a one pan meal. Everything done at once with an easy clean-up.
This chicken recipe is one that my Mother used to make for a Sunday family dinner. My Mom was a whiz in the kitchen. She always managed to have everything done and on the table at the same time. This was a feat that would take me some years to learn.
When I first started making Sunday dinner in our family, it was impossible for me to get everything on the table at once. Everyone would sit down to dinner and I would still be in the kitchen finishing the gravy or heating up the mashed potatoes because they were done too soon and had gotten cold. Finally, one day, I mastered the art of being able to serve everything at one time. Now it seems easy. But, I have always wondered if anyone else had that problem. Or, was it only me, that just couldn’t get the knack of timely food service at the dinner table.
This chicken is tangy and the basting mixture keeps it moist and flavorful.
BEST ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE
- 6 kinless boneless chicken breasts (if you use bone-in breasts, the cooking time will be a bit longer, so allow)
- 1 pound small red potatoes, peeled and cut in halves (The potatoes must be cut in small pieces if you are using boneless chicken. Boneless chicken cooks very quickly and you want to make sure your potatoes are not under cooked when your chicken is done.)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbls Dijon mustard or brown spicy mustard will do
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbls chopped chives or green onions
- Heat oven to 350°. Coat an 8″ by 11″ glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray or line with foil.
- Mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and rosemary.
- Salt and pepper chicken and potatoes. Place chicken and potatoes in baking dish. Blend mayonnaise, mustard and garlic powder. Brush basting mixture liberally over the chicken and potatoes. Add any leftover basting sauce to the pan. Top with the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and juices from chicken run clear. Sprinkle chopped chives over chicken and potatoes. Serve.
Leave a Reply