Healthy and full of nutrients, that’s what this easy black bean soup recipe has in store for your family. Even if you are not a health freak, you will enjoy this tasty soup and your body will reap the rewards of it’s innumerable nutritional benefits.
Black beans or turtle beans as they are also known are legumes. They are one of the most protein packed, high fiber foods around. One serving (1 cup) of black beans can give you half of your daily needed fiber, plus 1/3 of the protein of 2 ounces of meat without the fat. Black beans are also high in Vitamins A and C, iron and magnesium and low in calories.
I have always been a fan of bean soups. My Grandmother always made different versions of an Italian bean and pasta soup called pasta con fagioli or pasta e fagioli, which literally means pasta with beans or pasta and beans. She would use any kind of beans she would come across. Even though it wasn’t traditional, sometimes she would use black beans which happened to be my favorite.
If you have never tried it, mashed black bean soup makes an interesting and wonderful taco filling. Add shredded jack cheese, hot salsa and a squeeze of lemon or lime.
Give this black bean soup recipe a try and see what you think.
It is even better tasting the next day.
Table of Contents
Black Bean Soup Recipe Easy and Delicious
- 1 1/2 tsp canola oil
- 3 ozs of bacon or pancetta, (pancetta is Italian bacon) chopped finely
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped but not too fine, they burn easily
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup stewed tomatoes (Mexican style)
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cans of chicken broth (14.5 oz cans)
- chopped cilantro and sour cream
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and pancetta and saute for about 5 minutes. When onion is translucent, add the garlic and saute another minute to release the flavor of the garlic, but don’t burn it or it will give off a bitter flavor.
- Add the remainder of the spices and saute quickly. Then add the chicken broth and stir.
- Meanwhile, place 1 cup of the drained black beans and the stewed tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth but still thick.
- Add pureed beans and the rest of the canned beans to the pot. Simmer on a low heat uncovered for 20 minutes.