Table of Contents
I just discovered something, quite by mistake. When the Mister and I were at the store purchasing ingredients to make a batch of kimchi, I picked up a head of bok choy.
First, I’ll have you know I have never purchased bok choy in my life. Even though I know what it is, I’ve never used it. Ever. I know, big shocker. You see, I thought about using it in addition to the other ingredients for kimchi. Once we returned home, I changed my mind. Into the fridge it went. A couple of days later, I had an idea.
I could use the bok choy to make soup.
Off into the kitchen I went; slicing onion, chopping potatoes, and bok choy. Before long, I had a beautiful batch of bok choy lentil soup bubbling away in my cast iron dutch oven. This is the first meatless soup I’ve made, aside from the use of chicken stock. That purchase of bok choy turned out to be one happy accident. I will buy it from now on.
How to make bok choy lentil soup recipe
Bok Choy Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1/2 stalk bok choy, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes cut into bite-size cubes
- 1/3 cup dry lentils
- chicken stock, about 3 quarts (12 cups)
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups dry pasta*
- butter or oil for the pan
- First, preheat a large pot over medium heat – I use a 5 qt cast iron dutch oven. Add a couple of tablespoons of butter or oil of choice. Add the onion, and allow it to cook until it becomes a little softened. This should take a few minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken stock. Add the potatoes and lentils. Bring the pot to a boil, and reduce the pot to medium heat. Continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes. When the potatoes are nearly done – they will be nearly fork tender – and add the dry pasta. Once the pasta is cooked, add the bok choy. Stir to wilt the bok choy.
- Season and taste the soup throughout the cooking process with sea salt and black pepper. And, feel free to add additional chicken stock for desired consistency. The soup is finished when the potatoes are fork tender, the lentils are tender, and the pasta is al dente (soft).