These are an adaptation of the classic oreo truffle, but so much better because they are made with Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe Joe’s! I won’t go all crazy again and profess my life for candy cane Joe Joe’s, but you can read about my love here.
I have made these truffles for the past three years, they are always a hit! And so simple too. The hardest part is dipping, I HATE dipping things in chocolate; it’s messy, everything falls into the chocolate, and my chocolate is always lumpy. But, and this is a big but, all the mess and frustration is totally worth it!
The process of making candy cane truffles or Oreo truffles is so simple and requires 4 ingredients: oreos, cream cheese, chocolate, and shortening. Crush the oreos, and then throw them in the mixer with the cream cheese. Mix on low until well combined and then scoop, roll, and refrigerate. To dip I set up a double boiler and keep the water simmering on low the entire time. I add a few scoops of shortening to thin the chocolate, this makes the coating thinner and softer, so the drying time is longer. I use 2 forks to dip and the chocolates.
Let cool and then place in cute papers. Done. Deliciousness. Everyone will love you, trust me! Go buy some candy cane Joe Joe’s before I buy them all.
Candy Cane Truffles Recipe
- 1 1/2 boxes Trader Joe’s Candy-Cane Joe-Joe’s
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (1/3 fat)
- 24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- red/green candy melts for drizzling
- Crush the Joe-Joe’s into a fine crumb using a food processor.
- Add the Joe-Joe’s to the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low with the cream cheese until well combined.
- Use a 1 tablespoon scoop to portion the dough. Roll into balls and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water. Add shortening to thin the chocolate to a proper consistency.
- Use forks to dip each truffle into the chocolate, let cool and harden on wax paper.