Table of Contents
Remember when I went to Eat Write Retreat in Philly? It was an awesome weekend for food bloggers to connect, share ideas and tools of the trade, and expand the writing on our blogs. It was only three days long, and I’m so ready for next year already!
One of the perks of attending food blog conferences is the swag. Seriously- you get completely kitted out with free swag, not to mention the chance to win prizes throughout the weekend. My husband was half excited, half dismayed at the two extra suitcases I dragged home with me. You know, because we don’t have a lot of stuff already, or anything.
I was over the moon, though, to win this Cuisinart grill. It flips open to be a griddle, or closes to be a Panini press, or opens back up to an open top grill. As someone who deeply misses the utility of a backyard and the ease of grilling, it’s perfect for apartment-dwelling nerds like me.
a few things on my grill, notably this deliciousness, but when it came to this cherry roundup I knew I wanted something to go on the grill. Cherries mean summer, summer means grilling, the Big Man will happily eat anything with grill marks- this grill and my kitchen is a match made in heaven.
Plumping up burgers with cooked quinoa not only adds nuttiness and great texture, but it cuts down on the saturated fats in each burger. Adding fresh, diced cherries to the mix is the, um, cherry on top. You know what I mean.
Serve with a light cheese- we went feta, since it was on hand and cool and crumbly- and a spicy cherry salsa on top, and it’s the perfect grill-a-thon.
Cherry Quinoa Burgers With Spicy Cherry Salsa Recipe
Cherry Quinoa Burgers Ingredients
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup pitted, diced cherries
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
Spicy Cherry Salsa Ingredients
- 1 minced habenero (for the heat lovers) or jalapeno (for those who like their heat a bit more tame)
- 1 cup pitted, diced cherries
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Cherry Quinoa Burgers Instructions
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well, using your hands if necessary. Form into patties and cook to desired doneness on the grill. Serve with a crumbly cheese and spicy cherry salsa.
Spicy Cherry Salsa Instructions
- Toss all ingredients together and allow to sit for at least half an hour, to develop the flavors. Serve at room temperature.