How about a tasty chicken taco recipe that’s ready in no time at all? This is easy Mexican food with a killer good taste. Leftover chicken becomes a hero in this recipe. Try it for quick tacos that your family is sure to love.
I love chicken tacos. But, whenever I wanted to make them, I would have to defrost chicken pieces and cook them prior to every getting into the making of the tacos. Then, I discovered the grocery store roasted chicken. Well, I knew it existed, I just didn’t realize that I could use it to make my chicken tacos and burritos in a flash. Now, I make chicken tacos a lot more often and with a lot more ease.
You can also use this recipe to make taquitos.
Chicken Taco Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups of left over chicken, legs and thighs work best (for ease, I sometimes buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store, they are handy for all kinds of meals)
- 2 tbls canned chopped green chiles
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup canned green chili sauce
- 1/2 cup crushed Mexican style stewed tomatoes,canola oil for deep frying
- Place all the ingredients in a frying pan. Cook over low heat until the chili sauce is absorbed and chicken is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a small frying pan over medium high heat. Place a tortilla in the heated pan. When you see steam coming out from the sides of the tortilla, flip it over. Once again, when steam starts to come out from the sides of the tortilla, remove it from the pan. It will then be ready to be filled with the chicken. Heating the tortillas this way makes them more pliable and they are not as likely to crack when you bend them.
- At this point you can top the soft tacos with lettuce, cheese and tomato, onions or cilantro and serve them as is. Or, you can fry them in your fryer for a crispy traditional taco. Either way, they are quite tasty.
- If you are going to deep fry the tacos, you will need to secure the top and both sides with toothpicks. Use the flat toothpick as opposed to the round ones. the flat ones work better. They are less likely to cut through the shell and cause the shell to open and have some of filling be lost in the fryer. Fry a couple at a time and turn them upside down in a bowl filled with paper towels to drain. The, fill with chicken and your choice of condiments.