The last week has reeked havoc on my kitchen. Every night has a sink full of dishes and flour on the floor. But it’s all worth it because I can now bring you seven straight days of holiday cookies and treats. Holiday baking is my favorite time of year!
It’s always a struggle between old favorites and new recipes. My only limitations are the hours in the evening and Tupperware. Here is one new recipe inspired by the SRC Cookie Carnival.
A Cookie Carnival? How could I resist? The Secret Recipe Club did a holiday cookie post and I could not resist. I was assigned Karen from Karen’s Kitchen Stories. Her blog is lovely and features recipes she makes for her family. We have similar styles in that we both love to share recipes, slightly adapted, from cookbooks, blogs, and magazines. Blogging is fun hobby that allows us to share treats with others.
Chocolate Dipped Pistachio Shortbread Recipe
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 box (3.4 oz) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8.2 ounces flour
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F and grease a 9×13” pan with shortening. Cut a sheet of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and grease that as well.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add in the pudding, salt, and vanilla. Mix until well combined and scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour and mix on low until just combined.
- Press the mixture as evenly as possible in the prepared pan. If your hands get warm and sticky (mine always do), wet them with cold water and dry.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the edges just begin to brown. Remove from the oven and immediately use a bench scraper or knife to cut the shortbread into pieces.
- Let cool completely in the pan.
- Melt the chocolate and shortening in the bowl of a double boiler until smooth. Chop the pistachios while the chocolate is melting.
- Dip a third of each cookie in the chocolate and then press into the chopped pistachios. Let dry on a cooling rack with parchment paper underneath to catch drips.