Table of Contents
Thanksgiving is this week. I am a huge potatoes fan (I am sure most of us are) and never miss the excuse to cook them in one form or the other whenever I get a chance. Thanksgiving is one such occasion where mashed potatoes are always on the top of my to-make list.
This creamy mashed potatoes recipe is so easy to follow that it’s hard to make a mistake. Although, I would say, not all kinds of mashed potatoes come out perfect. It requires real art to make those perfectly creamy mashed potatoes with just right amount of butter, salt and pepper.
Starchy Russet and Yukon Gold potatoes are the most popular ones to be used for mashed potato recipes. Because of their high starch and low water content they are great for baking. I always use Yukon Gold though. They always give me that perfect creamy texture that tastes so buttery naturally.
This easy to make, classic and simple recipe is perfect for holiday season, Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Potatoes peeled, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Butter warmed
- 1/2 cup Milk or cream
- Take a medium saucepan. Add the peeled and cut potatoes. Add cold water till potatoes are covered by it at least an inch and half. Add half tsp of salt to the water.
- Turn on the heat to bring the water to boil. Reduce the heat from high to medium and let it simmer, and cover the saucepan. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until you can poke the fork easily into the potatoes.
- While potatoes are being cooked, warm up the butter and heat the milk in the microwave. You can also heat them on the stove.
- When potatoes are cooked, remove from heat and drain out the water. It is important that water is drained out thoroughly or the potatoes will become mushy and the texture won't come out right.
- Transfer to large sized bowl, mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Pour the warmed up butter and warm milk in the mashed potatoes and beat further with a strong wooden spoon.
- Make sure not to over mix the potato mix, or it will become mushy and gluey.
- Add salt and pepper as per your taste.
- Garnish with scallions or cilantro.