This sausage appetizer recipe is a great crowd pleaser. Usually when you have hot hors d’oeuvres, you have to deal with the unsavory task of trying to keep them warm. Because, hot appetizers, when they get cold, are usually anything but appetizing. However, a plate of these hot little sausage appetizers will disappear in no time, with no time to get cold.
I like everything Italian. These appetizers are like an Italian sausage pizza fried in a wonton wrapper.
The appetizers can be fried in a heavy skillet or deep fried in a fryer. I feel a deep fryer wastes too much oil, so my recipe calls for frying them in about 1 1/2 inch of oil. However, if you want to deep fry them, they take the same amount of time, but there is no need for turning them.
Crowd Pleasing Sausage Appetizer Recipe
- 1/4 lb hot Italian pork sausage, 2 links
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbls finely chopped onion
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 40 wonton wrappers(can be purchased at any Asian market)
- Remove sausage from casings and brown in a small skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage into pieces as it cooks. This should take 6 to 8 minutes.
- Combine sausage, 3/4 of the cheese, oregano, onion and tomatoes. Spoon one rounded teaspoon of the sausage mixture near one corner of the square wonton wrapper. Brush opposite side with water. Fold one end of wrapper over and roll up half way. Bring the moistened three corners together in a bundle, overlapping the ends slightly and firmly pressing to seal. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the wrappers.
- Heat about 1 1/2 inch oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. These bundles need to be cooked quickly in hot oil. So use a deep frying thermometer and when it registers 365 degrees place the bundles a few at a time in the skillet for about 1 1/2 minutes. You may have to turn them to make sure they are golden brown on all sides. Try to maintain the heat at 365 degrees while cooking. This will make for a crispy and light sausage appetizer. Remove the wontons from the skillet, drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella cheese while they are hot. Serve immediately.