Table of Contents
With a teacher appreciation potluck at my daughter’s school coinciding with the season of Valentine’s Day, I decided to bring a sweet treat that was a little bit healthy and a little bit indulgent. This Dessert Pizza fit the bill, with a simple crust, cream cheese base, and fresh fruit topping. And of course, the chocolate chips seemed like a necessary addition for this time of year.
My 3-year-old thought it was pretty hilarious that we were going to bring her teachers a pizza without cheese and she was intrigued by the process of making this dessert. I did make a few changes to give it a slightly different flavor profile than the original recipe, the first of which was to use a graham cracker crust rather than one made with bran cereal. I thought this would provide a yummy base for the cream cheese and fruit topping—and it’s so simple to make that it was ready in no time at all. I also used a tart pan with a removable edge since that’s what I had on hand.
Dark Chocolate Dessert Pizza
We topped our dessert pizza with fruit to add a fresh note and then simply sprinkled chocolate chips on top. I used more winter-type fruit, but you could use sliced strawberries, fresh raspberries, or even sliced peaches or plums, depending on your preference on what you have on hand. This dessert is best served chilled, so plan to store it in the fridge if there’s any time between assembly and serving. It tastes like a mash up of cheesecake, danish, and dark chocolate, which is a pretty stellar combination in our book.
Dark Chocolate Dessert Pizza with Fresh Fruit Recipe
- 1 ¾ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 package (8 oz) fat-free cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 kiwi,sliced
- 1 clementine, sectioned
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, 1/4 cup sugar and the vanilla. Press evenly on bottom and up the edges. Bake 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar and the vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread evenly over crust. Top with fruit and chocolate chips. Cut into wedges.