Table of Contents
This delectable asparagus appetizer recipe will certainly excite your taste buds if you love asparagus like I do. They make a healthy addition to any appetizer tray. And, you can always be assured of being left with an empty plate when you serve them to your guests.
Vegetables, ugh, I was like every other child when I was young, I hated anything green, especially asparagus. But we all grow up and decide to taste things we thought inedible when we were younger. asparagus was that to me. I simply love them now. I can make a whole meal out of asparagus with butter and Parmesan cheese heated under the broiler or on the barbecue grill.
The asparagus is a member of the lily family. They are an exceptionally healthy vegetable.
They detoxify our system with their high potassium and fiber. They have no cholesterol, no fat and 1 cup only contains 40 calories.
They also have potent antioxidant value. They are high in folate which is a natural B vitamin found in leafy green vegetables, not to be confused with folic acid which is the supplement form.
Asparagus are also the number one source of vitamin K, which, among other things, aids in bone formation and repair and is also a deterrence of heart disease.
With all that said, I am sure you will more than enjoy this asparagus appetizer recipe.
Delectable Asparagus Appetizer Recipe
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 20 pieces of bacon or turkey bacon
- 1/4 cup of thinly shredded cheddar or fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse and dry asparagus spears. Fill a medium size sauce pan 1/3 full of water and bring to a boil. Make sure the sauce pan is large enough so that the spears can lay flat and will not be crimped and caused to break. Place asparagus in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from water and immediately rinse in cold tap water to preserve crispness and bright green color. Drain spears and dry with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle asparagus with garlic powder and onion powder. Place canola oil in large cast iron skillet. When oil is hot, add asparagus several at a time, making sure that they sit on the bottom of the pan for searing. Cook 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp. Immediately, before the bacon has a chance to stiffen, wrap each asparagus spear and secure with a toothpick. Top each spear with cheese. If using cheddar, place under broiler for 1 minute. Remove toothpicks and serve hot. Often, I will sprinkle some bottled hot sauce on my asparagus. Try it. It’s very tasty.
EGG AND ASPARAGUS APPETIZERS:
- 6 eggs1 tbl mayonnaise1 tsp prepared yellow mustard2 tbls Swiss cheese, shredded1/4 cup cooked and chopped asparagussalt and pepper to taste20 thin wafer-type wheat crackersTobasco® sauce (optional
- Place eggs in medium saucepan. Fill pan with water to cover eggs. Place pan over medium-high heat. When water begins to boil, remove pan from heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Cool eggs, peel and mash coarsely.
- Place mashed eggs in medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, asparagus, and cheese. Gently stir ingredients to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Place spoonfuls of mixture on crackers. If you are daring, place a drop of Tobasco® sauce on each appetizer. Enjoy!