Mouthwatering Salisbury steak recipe. This delicious dish is a favorite of all I have served it to.
Salisbury steak was named after Dr. James Salisbury. He was under the somewhat archaic belief that meat was an extremely healthy food and should be eaten three times a day. His Salisbury diet consisted of beef with some onions and seasonings. Which came to be known as Salisbury steak.
My Mom used to make this Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and a vegetable and freeze it in leftover TV dinner trays as a treat for my sister and me. We loved TV dinners when we were young. We were able to just take one out of the freezer and pop it in the oven.
Delicious and Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1 slice of bread, soaked in water and squeezed gently
- 1 tbl minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbl scallions, minced
- 1 tbl grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbls flour
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbl tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
- Combine ground beef, bread, parsley, scallions, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper just until ingredients are mixed in. Do not over work the meat. Ground beef can become tough if overly handled. Divide the ground beef mixture into 2 portions and shape each into a 3/4 to 1 inch thick oval patty.
- Place the 1 tablespoon of the flour on a piece of plastic wrap and dredge each patty in the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, saute the patties for 3 minutes on each side, or until they are nicely browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and saute for 4 or 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of flour and stir to mix. Add tomato paste and saute for 1 more minute. Stir in the browning seasoning, broth, wine and basil.
- Return patties to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes until juices thicken. Serve with mashed potatoes topped with butter and Parmesan cheese and a greed salad.
Leave a Reply