My lo is one of those picky eaters, who questions each and every food item served in his plate. Last week, I made him a veggie sandwich, with few vegetables chopped very small and sautéd a little. I even added some seasonings to add to the flavor. I served him this so good looking and super delicious snack when he came back from his school.
As he was about to take his first bite, I sat on the couch besides him, holding my breath, pretending to not see him as he was about to nibble on the first bite, he pointed his little finger at a small piece of green pepper sticking out of the sandwich, and asked, Mommy, what is this? Before I could answer, he put his sandwich down and requested for his favorite peanut butter cookies
I am sure this sounds very familiar to many parents. I know kids grow out of their picky phase with time, but these are also their growing years. They need to consume highly nutritious and healthy food.
That is why I got super excited when I saw this Avocado Blueberry Muffins Recipe on California Avocado. I was sure he was going to like these because he loves his “Green Muffins” (psstt …. actually Spinach Muffins) too. Avocado is great for kids because of the abundant vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients it provides. It is rich in healthy fats and high in fiber.
Blueberries are one of the other healthy ingredients that this recipe uses. These help keep their minds sharp, keep the bones strong and are full of antioxidants!
I originally made this recipe keeping in mind that I am making these solely for my lo. But let me tell you, adults won’t be able to keep their hands off from this delicious snack.
My husband and I consumed total of 4 muffins between us, and my toddler was on his first. Well, needless to say, he liked them (here comes my happy dance!!!), and after finishing his first, he went to the kitchen counter, standing on his toes, asked for more!
I don’t have to tell you that how delicious and super moist they were. After we were all done, I had rest of them save in a Ziploc and store them in the freezer. I am sure we will be eyeing them again this evening with our evening cup of coffee!
Oh well …… let’s get to the recipe, shall we?
Avocado Blueberry Muffins
- 1 Avocado ripe, seeded and peeled
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Blueberries fresh
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners. Spray each tin with oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, scoop out the seeded avocado and blend well with a hand mixer. Beat until almost smooth. Add sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add the egg to this mix, beating until completely blended. Add the vanilla and the yogurt and again mix well.
- Take the flour mixture and gently add little amount at a time and mix well with a blender until combined.
- Bring the mix to your desired consistency. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Using a spoon, pour the batter in the 12 cups, filling 2/3 way to the top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.