I have had delicious banana bread number of times before, but recently I have been looking for only healthy recipes that are delicious as well. I have been making lot of muffins and cakes and freezing them. So, I don’t have to wait for the first batch to finish to start the next one. So lot of experimenting goes in my kitchen lol.
Alright, over to our healthy banana bread. I am already in love with this banana walnut cake that is pretty regularly consumed in our household. But I baked a different version of this one, using unsweetened applesauce, honey, very little sugar, rolled oats and flax seeds. Wow! Talk about healthy!
Well, my three year old can’t really tell if there are all these healthy ingredients in his cake. If he knew, he won’t even look at it, but luckily he doesn’t. I think it’s a win win for moms of picky little eaters!
Let’s take a look at this Super Healthy and Delicious Banana Bread!
Healthy and Delicious Banana Bread
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats ground
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Flax Seeds ground
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Clove
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 cup Banana mashed
- 1/3 cup Applesauce unsweetened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Honey
- few Raisins optional
- few Walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix whole wheat flour, ground rolled oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground clove and salt in a bowl.
- Take another bowl and in it mix applesauce, vanilla extract, egg, honey.
- Mash bananas with a masher or a spoon.
- Mix mashed banana well with mixed wet ingredients in step 3.
- Mix wet ingredients in step 4 with dry ingredients in step 2.
- Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
- Pour this batter into the greased baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean but moist.
- Bake it for about 45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out dry.
- For syrup: Bring the honey to a gentle boil in a small saucepan then remove from heat.
- After poking the holes with toothpick, slowly pour the syrup over the cake while it is still warm. Using the back of a spoon, prevent it from rushing to the edges. Let the cake sit a few minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.