Table of Contents
Blackened tilapia recipe, a very tasty fare. This recipe makes a simple tasting fish like tilapia come alive with flavor. The tilapia, when cooked properly, is very tender and light and lets the taste of the seasonings come through. Try this spicy fish recipe. Your taste buds will thank you for it.
I got introduced to blackened fish when I lived in Sacramento, California some time ago. There are quite a few lakes and streams in Sacramento so they have a countless number of well stocked seafood restaurants that serve fresh seafood daily.
We used to frequent this restaurant and I would always order the blackened tilapia. I tried to get the recipe, but it was a big kind of commercial type restaurant where the servers really knew very little about what was going on in the kitchen. It was one of those few rare times when I was not able to convince anyone to give me the ingredients for this spicy delightful delicacy.
I would sit there eating the fish and say to my husband, “I think it has this in it and I think it has that in it.” Finally, I gave up trying to obtain the restaurant’s secret recipe. I went home and experimented with all kinds of spices until I came up with a recipe that satisfied me. This is it. I hope you enjoy this easy fish recipe.
Delicious Blackened Tilapia Recipe
- 6 tilapia fillets
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- q bay leaf, crumbled
- 2 tsps paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic pepper
- 2 tsps Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile pepper powder, optional (the chipotle chile adds a smokey flavor to the tilapia)
- Rinse fillets under water and dry. Salt and pepper the fish pieces.
- Place all the spices in a small plastic bag and shake to mix.
- Place oil in heavy skillet over medium high heat. Coat pieces of fish, three at a time, in the spice mixture.
- When oil is very hot, almost smoking, add the fish being careful not to crowd the pieces. Fry fish for 1 minute on each side. There will be some smoking. Because tilapia is a tapered fish, meaning the sides taper off and are not as thick as the center, the fish will cook very quickly. Watch it! You don’t want to over cook the tilapia.