Table of Contents
Wonderfully succulent and delicious simple breaded shrimp recipe. Nothing quite as tasty as fresh shrimp with a drizzle of lemon over them and some spicy Cocktail sauce for dipping. They make for a great dinner, not to mention, an appetizing compliment to any buffet table.
With this shrimp recipe you can use any size shrimp you like. I favor the smaller ones. They cook faster and they seem to have a little snap to them when you bite into one.
There are two ways to prepare this shrimp recipe. I prepare them in a deep fryer. It’s easier to keep the shrimp at the right temperature, which is crucial to the taste and texture of the shrimp. If the oil temperature is not monitored, and the temperature drops, the shrimp can began to absorb oil and that makes for less than succulent and delicious shrimp.
They can also be sauteed, which I have often done. For health reasons, some diets won’t allow deep frying. So, I have altered the cooking process and I show both methods here.
Breaded Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lb uncooked medium size shrimp, (30 count) deveined and shells removed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup of unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tsps of Old Bay Seasoning
- canola oil for deep frying
- Rinse shrimp well under running water. Set aside on a paper towel.
- Add the flour, bread crumbs and Old Bay Seasoning to a plastic bag. Shake well to combine ingredients.
- Add oil to lowest level provided for by your particular deep fryer. Heat oil to 375°.
- Meanwhile, place shrimp in plastic bag and shake until all shrimp are covered with the flour and bread crumb mixture.
- When oil reaches 375°, place shrimp in basket and lower into fryer for about 4 minutes. If you have an older fryer, make sure it is able to sustain its temperature when you add the shrimp. If not, you may want to fry the shrimp in two batches. Most newer fryers will not have this problem. When shrimp are cooked to your liking, remove from frier and place on a paper towel to drain, then serve immediately with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce. French fries and a cucumber salad will compliment these fried shrimp.