Delicious Italian sausage and peppers recipe. It is my favorite, as is the case with most Italian recipes. In our Italian family, we will travel far and wide to find the best Italian sausage. Since Italian delis are very rare where we live, we travel 30 miles to a well stocked Italian Deli once or twice a month.
If any two foods ever really complimented each other, it’s Italian sausage and peppers.
Of course, when I was a young girl, I was a very picky eater. So naturally, I didn’t like Italian sausage. My Mom would make sausage and peppers. I always ate the peppers, but always left the sausage on the plate. For some reason, one time, my Mom took the sausage out of the casing and broke it up into pieces and cooked it that way. Guess what? I liked it that way. It was browned more and a little crunchier. To this day, that is the way I make my sausage, even if I am putting it in spaghetti sauce. Sometimes, the method in which a food is cooked, can make all the difference in its presentation, especially to children.
There are two kinds of Italian sausage, sweet and hot. I prefer the hot. Though it usually isn’t all that hot, it is spicy. It makes a great sausage and pepper sandwich.
Sausage and peppers Recipe
- 5 green bell peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 links of hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly in rings (optional)
- 2 tbls canola oil
- 2 pieces of thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 sourdough baquette cut in half (this is a long slender loaf with a chewy crust)
- Wash and dry peppers well or they will splatter when you fry them. Cut the tops and bottoms off the peppers. Remove seeds and viens. Cut the peppers in half and then in half again.
- In a large cast iron skillet, over a medium flame, add the oil. When oil is hot, add peppers and onions. I usually cover the peppers with a splatter screen so I don’t make a mess of my stove. cook peppers until they begin to get blistered and a start to blacken. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Meanwhile, prepare sausage by removing the casings and breaking the sausage into pieces. Place sausage in a medium size skillet with a tight fitting lid. Begin to frying the sausage. Add 3/4 cup of water to sausage. Cover and cook until water is absorbed about 10 minutes. Remove lid and cook another 5 minutes to brown the sausage.
- Cut the baquette in half and slice each half down the middle. Fill with peppers and sausage. Top with mozzarella cheese. Place sandwiches on a oven proof pan, placing rolled up foil in between to keep the sandwiches cheese side up. Heat under the broiler for about 1 minute to melt the cheese. You are going to love this sausage and peppers recipe!
Leave a Reply