Green chile chicken soup, spicy and delicious. It will knock your socks off. This chicken soup is a tasty mixture of fresh poblano and long green Anaheim of California chiles, roasted and peeled, for a flavor that is to die for.
I have always been a fan of homemade chicken soup. I am also a rabid fan of Mexican food. I live in southern California where Mexican food is an every day staple for most everyone. So, I thought, why not mix the chiles into my regular chicken soup.
Roasted poblanos are one of my favorite chiles for chile verde or any kind of chile soups or Mexican meat dishes. I always like to compliment them with some long green chiles for a more complex and rich flavor. If you have never used roasted chiles in your cooking, you are missing out on a phenomenal palate pleasing experience. I’m not kidding!
The other soup recipes I like.
Green Chile Chicken Soup Recipe
- 6 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeds removed
- 4 long green chiles, roasted, peeled and seeds removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tsp cumin powder cumin
- 2 tbls butter
- 2 tbls flour
- 4 15 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 tbl tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- Wash and dry chiles, brush with olive oil on both side. Roast under broiler for about 7 minutes. Turn and roast the other side of chiles for another 7 minutes or until the skin begins to turn black. Remove from oven. Place hot chiles in plastic bag or wrap in foil for about 15 minutes. Remove chiles from foil and peel away the skin. Slice chiles open and remove seeds. I do not believe in washing the chiles once they are roasted. You can clean them of all skin and seeds without the need to rinse them of all their delightful roasted flavor.
- Place chiles, onion and half and half in blender. Blend until smooth; add broth if more liquid is need for blending. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Gradually add flour, stirring constantly. Gradually add the chile mixture, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in the broth. Add chicken. Stir soup over medium heat until it is thickened, about 10 minutes. Salt to taste. Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and avocado slices.
Leave a Reply