Great recipes for zucchini side dishes are usually few and far between. However, my Italian Grandmother had more ways to make zucchini than I can even remember. They were really tasty concoctions too. She was just the best cook and the loveliest woman I have ever known.
Zucchini is not really a universally loved vegetable (botanically speaking, zucchini is really a fruit). However, I always thought that if everyone could have zucchini dishes cooked by my Grandmother, they would love them.
Try these zucchini squash recipes and see what your family thinks.
Table of Contents
RECIPES FOR ZUCCHINI SAUTE
- 2 zucchini squash
- 1 tbls butter or canola oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsps Italian style bread crumbs or to taste
- 2 tsps grated Parmesan cheese or to taste
- Slice zucchini in rounds about 1/8″ thick, then slice them in half. Set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium size skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini. Saute for 1 minute. Add oregano and mustard powder. Saute another 3 or 4 minutes or until zucchini are tender. Place in a serving dish and top with bread crumbs and cheese mixture. This zucchini recipe will compliment any main dish of meat, poultry or fish.
Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 10 oz can of condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 1/2 seasoned bread stuffing mix
- 2 tbls melted butter
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Slice zucchini into bite size pieces. Boil zucchini in a small amount of water until they are tender but still crisp, about 3 or 4 minutes. Drain well on paper towels.
- Combine milk, soup and egg. Add zucchini, onion and stuffing mix. Blend together well. Place in a casserole dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the cheese topping, Combine the bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over the casserole. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Makes a hardy side dish or a nice one dish lunch.