Table of Contents
Delicious sweet and sour baked chicken wing recipe has a tantalizing sweet and sour sauce. When cooked in the oven, the sauce forms a scrumptious sticky glaze that cloaks the surface of the wings and makes for the most exquisite tasting appetizers you have ever experienced. They are that good!
These baked chicken wings are great for a light dinner. They really go over well as a tasty appetizer dish for dinner parties or a casual buffet.
I have been making this recipe for over 30 years. So you know it has to be good. This recipe was popular with all my friends long before it was the big rage to serve them in restaurants. Everyone I have ever served it to has raved about it and begged for the recipe.
Once a friend of mine asked for this baked chicken wing recipe. It was asked for so often, I had little cards printed with the recipe on them. I didn’t have any cards left, so I proceeded to write down the recipe for my friend. Why not, I knew the recipe by heart. Not so, I forgot the “1 cup of apple cider vinegar”. My friend made the recipe for a small family get together and needless to say, the wings came out badly. When she called me the next day. I was shocked. This recipe is so delicious. How could she ruin my recipe? We finally went over the recipe and found that I had neglected to include the vinegar. I felt atrocious over giving her the wrong recipe. I have not been able to live it down either. To this day, every time I give her a recipe, she always says “Now this is the whole recipe, right? You’re not leaving anything out are you?” we still laugh about it 20 years later.
Delicious Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken Wing Recipe
- 30 chicken wing drumettes (these are chicken wings with the wing tips removed, they are labeled as party wings in the grocery store)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Oil for frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- In a sauce pan, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup ketchup and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. When done remove from heat and set aside.
- Rinse chicken wings and dry thoroughly. Prepare a batter by combining eggs, garlic salt and pepper. Beat well.
- In a large skillet, Add oil about 3/4 inches up the side of the skillet. Heat oil to between 350° and 360°, or until a drop of beaten egg rises to the top of the oil and bubbles vigorously. Dip wings in the batter and fry several at a time until golden brown. Do not crowd the wings.
- Drain wings on paper towel. Spray a shallow 9″ by 13″ baking dish with nonstick spray. Place wings in baking dish. Pour sweet and sour sauce over the wings being sure to coat them well.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the wings. Place back in the oven and cook another 20 minutes. Watch them closely during the last 20. minutes When you remove them from the oven, the sauce will thicken and become a tasty glaze. Serve wings immediately with the sauce drizzled over them.