This fast, easy and delicious baked shrimp recipe will make life in the kitchen very short. Create a speedy one-dish meal with easy cleanup. Shrimp are a very versatile food. Excellent as a welcome addition to omelets, rices or pastas and salads.
This baked shrimp recipe reminds me of a cheesy story. Parmesan cheese in a pungent and tasty cheese, being Italian, makes it my favorite cheese of choice for almost anything. But, there was a time when I thought that might change. We were on our way to my aunt’s house for dinner and we were bringing a big casserole dish full of these baked shrimp topped with the aromatic Parmesan cheese. My Dad rounded the corner of her street like Mario Andretti on the last lap of a close race. The dish went crashing to the floor of the backseat. What a mess. My Mom cleaned it as best she could.
The next day my Dad cleaned the back seat carpet. Everything is okay again right? Wrong, the car had an strong odor, no longer an aroma, of Parmesan cheese. For weeks I just couldn’t stand getting into that car and smelling remnants of the odor of cheese. I was growing to hate that cheese. Well, time heals all, even my nose. After a while, the smell seemed to dissipate and I once again continued my love affair with Parmesan cheese.
Whenever I am in a hurry and don’t want to mess up my stove, I will make something in the oven.
BAKED SHRIMP RECIPE
- 1 lbs of medium size shrimp, rinsed, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (no cooking wine, a wine you would drink)
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of stewed tomatoes, mashed with potato masher, with juice
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbls chopped almonds or pumpkin seeds, toasted (optional)
- 3 ozs shredded jack cheese
- Line a glass baking dish with heavy foil. Layer shrimp in dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Pour in wine. Sprinkle over shrimp bread crumbs, tomatoes and garlic powder.
- Place in 350° oven for 10 minutes. Remove dish from oven and turn on broiler. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and chopped almonds and jack cheese over the top. Place under broiler for about 1 minute, until cheese begins to melt, watching carefully. Serve this dish with rice and a tomato salad with Italian Dressing.
- For kick in taste, you may want to try: Prepare shrimp as instructed in Item 1 above. Add 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, to the baking dish. Cook as instructed.
- I have used these shrimp as an appetizer for a buffets. I add some spicy cocktail sauce as a dipping condiment. They are always a colossal hit.