You won’t believe how easy this delicious enchilada casserole recipe is. It’s a great meal for a crowd. Leftovers freeze well and taste even better the second time around.
Mexican food is my favorite of all . Even though I am Italian and love Italian food, I still have an affinity for Mexican cuisine. Dining on Mexican food, to me, is like going on a vacation, you can’t wait to get there and you are sorry when it’s over.
One night I was in a hurry. I had all the ingredients for enchiladas but I was pressed for time. I really didn’t want to cut everything up in separate dishes and dirty a big baking dish so I cooked the meat in a cast iron frying pan. Added all the ingredients, didn’t really layer anything. Tore up some corn tortillas, poured enchilada sauce over the top and stuck it in the over for 25 minutes. It was delicious.
Enchiladas are great but are somewhat time consuming to make. This recipe is a great substitute for rolled meat enchiladas.
ENCHILADA CASSEROLE RECIPE
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1-2 1/4 ounce can of sliced black olives
- 1- 6 ounce can of whole kernal corn (optional)
- 2 cups shredded jack or cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- Brown meat in skillet. Add taco seasoning mix. Add an extra 1/4 cup of water to the seasoning mix then is called for. Stir to combine mix with meat. Do not cook for the time stated in the instructions. Once seasoning mix is combined and mixture begins to boil, remove skillet from stove and set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in a paper towel and heat on high in the microwave for 10 or 15 seconds to soften them.
- Spray 8″ by 8″ oven safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer tortillas on bottom of baking dish to cover. Spoon meat mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle some of the olives and corn over meat. Top with cheese. Began another layer of corn tortillas and continue to layer until all ingredients are used. Top with tortillas and cheese. Bake for one hour or until hot and bubbling in a 350° oven. Serve topped with sour cream and guacamole.