Does corn bread remind you of your childhood? Please share your sweetest stories from your childhood around Thanksgiving or any other holiday. I love hearing stories that make me nostalgic.
Well, for me, cornbread brings back my fun childhood. I love the time my family would get together for Thanksgiving dinner. My grandmother’s cornbread was the best, that was one thing I used to look forward to every time she would visit us. If she couldn’t make it for any other event the whole year, she was sure to visit us on my favorite holiday.
My cousins and I had the best time playing and telling each other our school stories. We would take a walk in the neighborhood all by ourselves, not worrying about a thing in the world. We would keep playing outside until the sun would set and the street lights would turn on.
Well, coming back to corn bread I learned how to bake the very basic version. I love the way it comes out every time. The aroma that accompanies this delicious side dish is out of this world.
I also sometime make the Southwestern spice by stirring in 2 cups of corn niblets. If your kids like cheese, you can add 1 cup of grated cheddar and 1 finely chopped jalapeno into this batter. Pour this batter into baking pan, and bake at 400F for 40 mins or so. I will post pictures of this variation next time I make this one.
For now, here is a very basic classic corn bread recipe, that you can enjoy with your family and share stories of your childhood. It’s prefect side dish for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Although I can have it any day, it’s so delicious!
Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal yellow
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In another medium bowl, whisk egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Mix the wet mixture into dry mixture and combine until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf and check if it comes out clean.