Table of Contents
You must try this easy chicken enchilada recipe. It’s yummy and makes great leftovers. Often, if I have some time on my hands, I will make these enchiladas and then put them in the freezer. One day when I find I am running late and need a quick meal, I will take them out and add a salad and some refried beans for an easy but homemade dinner.
Whenever I have a need for leftover chicken, such as in this chicken enchilada recipe, and I don’t have any. Instead of dragging some frozen chicken out of the refrigerator and defrosting and cooking it, I will just buy a roasted fully cooked chicken from the grocery store. I use the meat for recipes and then use the carcass to make soup or broth.
Easy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- 2 cups of cooked chicken, shredded (I use a roasted chicken from the grocery store. Legs and thighs work very well for this recipe)
- 1 14.5 oz can green chile enchilada sauce
- 2 tbls canned chopped roasted green chiles
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese (or whichever cheese you may prefer)
- Shred the chicken and place in a frying pan. Add 1/4 cup of the green chili enchilada sauce to the chicken, green chiles, garlic powder and chile powder. Cook over low heat until the chile sauce is absorbed and the chicken begins to look dry, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place small fry pan over medium high heat and place the tortillas in pan one at a time. When steam begins to come out from the sides of the tortilla in the pan, flip it. When steam begins to come out the sides once again, the tortilla is softened. Heating the tortillas this way will make them more pliable and less likely to break when you roll them.
- Place about 2 rounded tablespoonfuls of chicken in each tortilla. Top with cheese and pour a tablespoon of green chili enchilada sauce over the filling and roll the tortilla. Place it seam side down in a baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray. When all chicken enchiladas have been made, pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the top.
- Place covered baking dish in 350° oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove cover, sprinkle with cheese and place uncovered back in oven for another 10 minutes.