Crunched for time, need a hearty meal in a hurry? This chicken tortilla soup recipe is what you are looking for. I used to take this soup to work with me in a thermos. When I popped the cork of the thermos and poured out my soup, everyone would say “what smells so good in here?” It would be my luscious tortilla soup.
For the chicken in all my soups, I always buy one of the roasted chickens from the grocery store. They are always juicy and you can use virtually the whole chicken. But best of all, its already cooked.
This tortilla soup is light but very satisfying.
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE
- 2 tbls canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped coarsly
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cans chicken broth (14.5 oz cans)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (Mexican style, 14.5 oz)
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 4 oz can chopped mild green chiles
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3/4 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I use a roasted chicken from the deli section of the grocery store)
- 1 tbl chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded jack or cheddar cheese
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 5qt pot. Add garlic, onion, cumin and chili powder. Cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until the garlic releases its aroma. Don’t burn the GARLIC.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, lime juice, chilis, carrots and corn. Cover, simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the tortilla strips in about 1 inch of canola oil until crisp, about 60 seconds or less. Watch them, they will crisp up very fast. In a hurry? You can just buy a bag of tortilla strips.
- After simmering is done, add the chicken and cilantro. Stir and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese and tortilla strips.