I got this Greek chicken recipe from a restaurant that we frequented from time to time. The restaurant was beautifully decorated in an ornate Greek style that was just breath taking. They served great food.
Up to the time we started frequenting this restaurant, I had never eaten much Greek food. But once I had the chicken, I was hooked. I loved the spices they use. Being Italian, I like spicy foods and the Greeks know how to use spices to make wonderfully tasty dishes.
They were kind enough to share their recipe with me. We became regulars at this restaurant for many years. Sadly they had a death in the family and the restaurant eventually closed. But, I still have the recipe. It brings back memories of the little bit of Greek history and beauty that I was exposed to every time I was privileged to grace that wonderful bit of Mediterranean delight.
I am notorious for asking for recipes from restaurants, friends, strangers or anyone who has served a dish that I think is extraordinary. You would think, with all the cooking I have done in my life and all the recipes I have accumulated and created, that I would have every recipe there is. Not so, I always come across that little known simple recipe that can be made into a scrumptious fare just by tweaking a few ingredients.
This Greek chicken recipe is a one pan meal and it really is quite delectable.
Table of Contents
Greek Chicken Recipe
- 8 chicken pieces of your choice (I use legs and sometimes thighs because they are juicier than other chicken parts)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbl oregano
- 2 lemons, juiced (quarter one of the lemons and throw it in the roasting pan with the chicken)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup Greek olives
- 4 potatoes, quartered, precooked in the microwave for about 4 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked broccoli
- 1 onion, quartered
- Wash and dry chicken pieces. Brush the chicken liberally with the olive oil.
- Spray a baking 9″ by 13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken pieces in dish, skin side down.
- Sprinkle the oregano and basil over the chicken. Add the bay leaf, garlic cloves, black olives, lemon juice, potatoes, broccoli, onions and the remainder of the olive oil.
- Cook in 400° oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until juices of chicken run clear, turning chicken once during cooking.