Holidays are around the corner. If you are gathering a big crowd at your house this year, I’m sure you are thinking of options what to feed everyone, so that each and everyone of your guests is satisfied with their tummies full or fighting for more servings.
I always go with my easy vegetarian lasagna with spinach and ricotta cheese. This hearty, filling main dish is always talked about at other dinners and I can’t help but blush and say, Stop it, Please! (Even though I don’t want them to! 🙂 )
I am in love with this dish because I love all kinds of cheeses that can be used in this recipe. You can add your favorite veggies also. I make it with different variety of vegetables every chance I get. I sometimes use mushrooms, sometimes green pepper. This time I was out of mushroom, so I used green peppers instead.
I love using red onion for most of my dishes, mainly because of the purple color it gets when it is being sauted. For veggie lasagna, you only need to saute it for 2 – 3 minutes, making sure that it is tender.
Add chopped garlic cloves and green pepper to the mix. You will love the aroma of this shallow frying veggies.
At this point, you have boiled spinach. Drained and chopped it. You have combined ricotta cheese, spinach, Romano cheese, oregano, basil leaves, salt, pepper and egg. You have also added green pepper mixture.
This is what it looks like when you mix all the ingredients thoroughly with a wooden spatula.
Take a baking dish, this one is 8x8inch. At the bottom of the baking dish, lay 4 lasagna noodles. If you are taking 9x15inch baking dish, you can use 5 or so lasagna noodles. Spread 1/3 of cheese and spinach mixture over the lasagna noodles. Take 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle evenly on the cheese spinach mixture. Spread 1 cup pasta sauce over the cheese. Repeat the steps above for 2 more layers.
Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 50 -55 minutes in a preheated oven. Let it cool for 15 – 20 minutes. This is what you get when you take the aluminum foil off. Look at each layer. Each bite of this vegetarian lasagna is so delicious!
If you happen to try this, please make sure to upload your vegetarian lasagna pictures on Instagram and tag #recipeslover. I would love to see how your recipe turned out!
Table of Contents
Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
- 15 Lasagna Noodles
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup Onions chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 cup Spinach fresh
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1/3 cup Romano Cheese grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- 1 tsp Basil Leaves dried
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper ground
- 1 egg
- 3 cups Mozzerella Cheese shredded
- 3 cups Tomato Pasta Sauce
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, warm up the olive oil for 1 - 2 minutes. Saute green peppers, onions, and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender. Transfer to medium sized bowl.
- In this same skillet, boil spinach for 5 minutes. Drain, then squeeze out excess liquid. Chop spinach. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8 - 10 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- In a medium sized bowl, combine ricotta cheese, spinach, Romano cheese, oregano, basil leaves, salt, pepper and egg. Add green pepper mixture. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spatula.
- Take 8x8inch baking dish. Lay 4 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the baking dish. Spread 1/3 of cheese and spinach mixture over the lasagna noodles.
- Take 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle evenly on the cheese spinach mixture.
- Spread 1 cup pasta sauce over the cheese.
- Lay 4 lasagna noodles on top of pasta sauce. Repeat above 3 steps two more times.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake in pre heated oven for 50 - 55 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15 - 20 minutes before serving.