How to make Egg Roll Wrapper Recipe ?
One of the recipes our friends ask for most often is how I make egg roll Wrapper.
How did Egg Roll Wrappter
Egg Roll Wrappter Over the years I’ve experimented and tweaked away, as usual. The filling is very simple.
What’s in the Egg Roll Wrapper
We use cooked ground beef or chicken, shredded cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts.
The Egg Roll Wrapper is made in a few minutes.
We wrap the filling in egg roll wrappers, and fry them in oil until they’re golden brown. It’s easy, and quickly done with two people working in the kitchen.
Egg Roll Wrapper Recipe
For the Filling:
- 1 lb. ground beef or chicken
- 9 ounces bean sprouts
- 10 ounces shredded cabbage and carrots
You will also need:
- A bowl of cold water, for folding and sealing the egg rolls
- 1 package of egg roll wrappers
- Oil, for frying
- A cooling rack on a baking sheet, for draining fried egg rolls
- A baking sheet for holding folded egg rolls for frying, lined with parchment paper or a nonstick liner to prevent sticking
- A damp towel (not dripping wet), to keep folded egg rolls from drying out
- First, brown the ground meat in a skillet. Use your spatula to break up the meat so that there are no large chunks. Once the meat is cooked, place it in a large bowl. Add the bean sprouts, shredded cabbage and carrots. Stir with a spoon to combine.
- Place one egg roll wrapper in front of you so that the corners of the wrapper are diagonal, facing you. Place some filling in the center of an egg roll wrapper.
- Gently bring one corner of the egg roll wrapper forward.
- Lightly dab the sides of the wrapper with water, and bring a corner over so that it folds over the first corner you folded forward over the filling.
- Dab the other corner of the wrapper with water, and fold the other side.
- Apply a dab of water to the edges of the remaining length of the egg roll wrapper in front of you. Grasp the sides of the filled and folded end of the egg roll and roll it forward.
- Place the egg roll on the lined baking sheet, and cover it with the damp towel. Proceed with the next one, repeating the process until you’ve used all of the filling. Your egg rolls will look like this:
- Heat up your oil. You can use a electric deep fryer. I use a 12-inch cast iron skillet, on medium-high heat. I pour in enough oil to fill the depth about 1/2 – 1 inch, just enough to cover the sides of the egg rolls as they fry. Here’s how to tell if the oil is ready – insert a wooden chopstick into the center of the pan in the oil. If tiny bubbles rise around the chopstick, it’s ready. Once the oil is hot enough, add a few egg rolls and let them cook for about a minute. Carefully turn them over to brown the other side.
- Place finished egg rolls on a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet to drain excess oil. Serve with soy sauce, as desired.