This Exceptionally flavorful and hearty baked potato soup recipe, with all of its toppings and ingredients, is worthy of being a tasty one-dish meal for your family. Isn’t everyone walking that fine line between easy and yummy?
This baked potato soup is so easy, I make it quite often. It’s one of those simple meals that even if you are alone, you don’t mind making. Often times when I am baking potatoes for dinner, I will bake a few extra with the mind set of making this soup within a couple of days.
This soup, minus the bacon bits, would make a great addition to a vegan meal.
I have a friend who pours this soup over hamburgers or just cooked ground beef and says her family loves it.
I splurge a tad when I eat this soup. Although, it does have some good sources of iron and calcium.
More Soup Recipes
Exceptional Tasting Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 medium size baking potatoes such as russets
- 4 tbls of butter, which is 1/2 a stick (optional)
- 1/3 cup of flour + 1 tbl
- 3 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 tbls chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 4 tsps sour cream
- Wash and dry potatoes and pierce each with a fork 3 or 4 times.Place in a 350° oven and bake until tender, about 60 to 65 minutes. Potatoes are done when a fork goes in easily. Remove potatoes from oven and cool thoroughly. When potatoes are cooled, peel. Cut three of the potatoes into bite size pieces. Mash the fourth potato and set all aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until soup is thickened, about 2 or 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in sour cream, add all potatoes and stir to combine.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each bowl of soup with 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon sour cream, a sprinkle of bacon and green onions. Enjoy! This is hearty soup, that along with a green salad, can make a completely delightful meal.