This vegetable beef soup recipe is healthy, hearty and very taste satisfying.
Its a chunky soup with some flavorful ingredients. I always like to flavor my soups with an array of spices. It keeps them from tasting dull and run-of-the-mill. I put a bay leaf in practically everything I cook. From soups to spaghetti sauce, to pot roasts. I feel bay leaves compliment just about any recipe.
My Mom used to make this soup when we were young. She always added a small can of tomato paste to the soup, because my Dad like everything in tomato sauce. When I began to make the soup, I found that by adding just a little paste to the soup, it added a nice flavor but didn’t overpower the soup. My motto for good cooking, is never over indulge your recipes with one main ingredient. If you have a good balance of ingredients, the finished product will always taste better.
Family Pleasing Vegetable Beef Soup RecipeYum
- 1 lb chuck steak, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 ozs pancetta or bacon, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 celery stalk, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips or carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup peas (canned or frozen, drained if canned)
- 1/2 cup kernel corn, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a 5 qt stock pot over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook for a few minutes. Add the cubed steak, brown on all sides. You may want to brown the meat in batches. If it gets too crowded in the pot it will steam instead of brown and the browning is crucial to the flavor of the soup.
- After all steak is browned, remove it from pot, but leave the pancetta. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add the tomato paste and the meat back in pot and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and the seasonings. Simmer at a steady bubble for 30 minutes. At this point taste and see if the soup needs salt and pepper.
- Add the potato, celery and parsnips and cook for another 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Then add peas and corn, heat and serve.