Flavorful and easy chicken mole recipe. Mole is a great Mexican dish. However, we all know how time consuming it is to make. Well, this quicky recipe will satisfy your taste and your time constraints to make a succulent mole sauce for your chicken.
The origin of mole has been traced to several regions of Mexico. Most think of mole as a dark red or brown sauce served over meat of some kind. But each sector has its own local influences over the ingredients for their mole and the folklore surrounding its origin.
Moles come in various flavors and ingredients, with chili peppers being the common denominator. Most chicken moles in the United States have come to be known has having chocolate as an ingredient. However, it is thought that the moles of Mexico were not originally made with chocolate. The gradual addition of chocolate to mole sauce was probably a result of the modification of ingredients over time to make a more complex and richer mole.
The moles of Mexico are quite a bit more complex than those you find in the United States and can contain up to 20 ingredients. The different ingredients are roasted and ground into a powder that is usually then mixed with water or broth to make a thick sauce.
Moles are used in Mexico for celebrations and can be served over anything, but traditionally they are served over turkey or chicken. Each mole is distinctly different depending on what part of Mexico it hales from.
I got this easy mole recipe from my sister who, as I have said before, hates to cook. She won’t tackle anything that has more than a few ingredients and takes more than 10 or 15 minutes to prepare. She can usually take any long recipe and condense it to a few simple additions. When done, she comes out with a pretty good tasting meal.
I was quite surprised at how tasty this chicken mole was.
Table of Contents
Chicken Mole Recipe
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs and legs (this recipes works well with roasted chicken from the grocery store also)
- 2 boxes of Doña Maria Mole (found in the International aisle of the grocery store)
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat. Fry chicken until thoroughly cooked. Cover chicken while frying, it will cook faster. Remove any oil left in skillet.
- Add the 2 boxes of mole to the chicken. Heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with warmed flour tortillas and butter.