I have been enjoying this sloppy joe recipe since I was a young girl. It’s a great break from hamburgers and always a favorite of kids.
From what I have read, it appears the first sloppy joe sandwich was created by a chef named, what else but Joe at a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa. It was a take on the loose meat sandwich which did not contain any tomato sauce. There is really no great proof of who really invented it. It was probably invented simultaneously in different cities around the globe for all we know. But, since I can remember, I have loved sloppy joes.
When I started school, I was never that fond of the lunches we were served in the school cafeteria. But, I really liked the sloppy joe sandwiches they used to serve. They reminded me of my Mom’s great and saucy sloppy joes. Hers were better of course.
There is also a recipe that I call sloppy joe rice. I just add some quick cooking rice and a few spices to the original recipe. It is quite tasty. You can also use this recipe to fill bell peppers or manicotti shells.
how to make hamburger buns ?
Table of Contents
SLOPPY JOE RECIPE
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 small can tomato paste, plus one can of water
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 cup cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 6 hamburger buns
- In a large cast iron skillet, saute meat, onions and bell pepper until cooked. Drain oil from skillet.
- Add tomato paste, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Simmer for about 10 minutes for sauce to reduce and thicken. Serve on warm buttered hamburger buns topped with cheddar cheese for an extra tasty sloppy joe.
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano or 1 tsp of basil leaves
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes with juice
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup of water
1 cup quick cooking rice
1/2 cup mozzarella cheesePreparation:
1. Saute ground beef and onion in cast iron skillet. Add garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper and continue to cook. Drain any oil from meat.2. Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and rice. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover add cheese and stir. Serve this rice dish with some green beans and a tomato salad with oil and vinegar.