This savory Italian sausage soup is super easy and very tasty. The Italian sausage and fragrant spices make it a favorite for a hearty and quick meal.
My Grandmother always made this sausage soup with homemade sausage and homegrown potatoes. But, instead of potatoes, this recipe can also be made with cannellini (a large ivory colored bean) or great northern beans.
My Grandfather used to make his own sausage. He had a hand turning sausage stuffer. He would place the casing over the tube. He would turn the hand crank with one hand and tie off the sausage as it came out of the grinder with the other hand. It was amazing to watch him do it. The whole process never appealed much to me. But, the finished product was oh so delicious.
She would often ladle up a bowl each for my sister and me and she would drizzle some olive oil over the top and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over the hot soup.
I love to eat this soup with freshly baked bread and butter and dip the bread into the tasty robust bowl of goodness. Yum. Its out of this world.
Italian Sausage Soup Spicy and Delicious
- 4 hot Italian sausage links, casings removed (if you want your soup less spicy, use the sweet mild Italian sausage)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed with the back of a spoon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup Italian stewed tomatoes, squeezed through a collander
- 6 drops of worcestershire sauce
- 3 medium potatoes, diced to bite size pieces
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (you can used canned spinach, but be sure to dry it well)
- Break up sausage to bite size pieces and cook in5 qt pot. When sausage is cooked, remove from pot witha slotted spoon and place on a paper towel. Wipe potout with a paper towel.
- Return pot to burner over medium high heat. Add the
oil and saute quickly the onions, basil, oregano,bay leaf and garlic.
- Add meat back into pot and stir.
- Add chicken broth, beef broth, and tomatoes. Simmerover low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for another 10 minutesor until potatoes are cooked.
- Add spinach and cook another 5 minutes. Serve