Homemade Doughnuts Recipe
We live in a small town that’s known for its Dutch bakeries. And while they sell things such as traditional Dutch letters, they also have a vast selection of other sweets. Whenever I go into one with my toddler, she’s immediately drawn to the bright frosting on the cupcakes, doughnuts, and cookies. And while I find them sweet to look at as well, they are a little too sugary as far as taste goes. Luckily for all of us, it’s really easy to make bakery-quality doughnuts at home—like these Vanilla Cake Doughnuts—that are moist, flavorful, and sweet enough to be a wonderful treat without causing a sugar crash.
15 minutes Doughnuts Recipe
I decided to make these miniature to make use of my new teensy pan and because tiny doughnuts are just so cute! I also halved the recipe so that we’d wind up with just 12 little doughnuts (portion size is key so we don’t each end up eating eight) and reduced the sugar in the batter a bit because I knew that the glaze would pack a sweet punch. It mixes incredibly easily without the need for special equipment. In less than 15 minutes, you can have a batch of mini doughnuts cooling on a rack. Quicker than a trip to the bakery!
Doughnuts Recipe Filling
One note: Don’t fill the doughnut cavities more than two-thirds full because even the little amount of baking soda causes them to plump up quite a bit.
For toppings, I did a mix of colorful ones that I know my family likes, but you can really let your imagination run wild here and customize a couple for each person. We opted for rainbow sprinkles for my daughter, chocolate and walnuts for my husband, and shredded coconut for myself. I stirred up a chocolate glaze because I thought it would add nice flavor.
Paired with a glass of cold milk, these were these a big hit in our home, and I know they’ll be a slam dunk in yours, too.
Mini Vanilla Cake Doughnuts
- 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsps unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tblsp milk
Prepare the doughnuts:
- Heat oven to 325° F. Coat a 12-indentation mini doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until smooth.
- Spoon batter into a large resealable plastic bag. Cut off a corner and squeeze batter into prepared indents, about 2/3 full. Smooth tops. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on rack 3 minutes, then carefully turn out onto rack to cool.
Prepare the chocolate glaze:
- Combine confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, and milk. Stir until smooth.
- Immediately dip cooled doughnuts into bowl and allow excess frosting to drip back into bowl. Transfer to rack.
- Top with sprinkles, coconut, chopped nuts, or chopped chocolate, if desired.