I have the feeling I’m going to get some major side eye with today’s avocado post. But that’s okay. I can handle your criticism. Just please believe me when I say that I will never lead you down a Bad Avocado Path.Pasta with Avocado, Zucchini and Toasted Walnuts:
The thing is, it’s avocado pasta. Not like, fresh pasta made with avocado. It’s pasta tossed with avocado sauce *ducks* �
Really! This works. I myself have been making it for years.
When I lived in Dublin, my bus stopped right outside of a produce shop. I would fill my little bag with fruits and vegetables, go home, watch Big Brother and make crazy varieties of pasta dishes. I lived by myself, and I ate a lot of pasta from the couch. Soup, too. I was all about the easy, one pot meals, especially since all I had to cook on was a glorified toaster oven. It was a pretty small flat and my “kitchen” was kind of a joke.
This dish is a happy accident from my days of pasta experimentation. It turns the buttery avocado into a smooth and light tasting sauce that goes perfectly with the heft of an egg noodle and the bite of roasted zucchini. It’s light and summery- the perfect pasta dish for when the weather finally gets warm and the idea of something heavy in your bowl makes your skin start to sweat.
Pasta with Avocado, Zucchini and Walnuts Recipe
- 2 cups cooked and rinsed egg noodles
- 1 large zucchini, sliced and quartared
- 1 very ripe avocado
- 2 oz soft chevre
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 400*F.
- Drizzle the zucchini with the olive oil and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Roast the zucchini for at least 10 minutes, until it is soft all the way through when pricked with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Toast the walnuts over low heat for one to two minutes, until very fragrant. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mash the avocado, goat cheese and lime juice together in a medium sized bowl until there are no large lumps.
- In a medium sized pan over medium heat, cook the avocado mixture until it has started to smooth out. Add the stock and stir to combine. Allow to cook a further minute or so, until the mixture is completely heated through.
- Dice the zucchini and add it to the pasta. Toss with the avocado mixture, and top with the toasted walnuts.
- Serve hot.
Leave a Reply