Once or twice a week, we try to cook something healthy. Although, we don’t eat out that much, and whatever we make at home, is quite healthy, but when I decide to switch to brown sugar from white sugar or from butter to olive oil, that means I am on a full time getting healthy and fit spree. That is the time when my hubs and kiddo hide behind the couch or a closet, since that’s what I am going to feed them.
So, this time it was switching from white rice to brown rice at least once a week. As soon as I found out the health benefits of brown rice, I was all gaga over making this healthy grain. Even though white rice was once brown rice but the process to convert makes it lose lots of it’s nutritional value.
Well, I got myself a big bag of nice brown rice. Thinking it was just as simple to cook as white rice, I followed the whole white rice cooking procedure.
And that, my friends, was a big mistake!
Yeah, cooking brown rice is not that simple. In my first and later attempts, they looked too mushy and overmixed.
After a lot of researching, many youtube videos and online recipes later, I found my kind of perfect recipe at Saveur. Yes, my family really liked the perfectly cooked brown rice. It has been happily incorporated in our weekly meal plans.
Boiled Brown Rice Recipe
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for few seconds, swirling the rice around with your hand.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. When water boils, add the rice.
- Turn heat to medium and boil, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.
- Let the rice drain for couple of seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat.
- Immediately cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Make sure that the pot lid is extremely tight and pot is tightly sealed.
- After ten minutes, uncover rice, fluff with spoon or fork, and season with salt to taste.