Pesto Quinoa Bowls With Poached Eggs Recipe very yummy. We just hit that point in the summer when piles of fresh produce start invading every kitchen counter. Luckily, this is a happy problem to have since it’s easy to turn the garden goodies into delicious summer dinners, like this Basil Quinoa Salad with Poached Eggs. And since my daughter adores pesto and isn’t yet too sure what basil is, we called this dinner Pesto Quinoa Bowls in my house.
No matter what you call it, I’m pretty sure you’re going to love it.
Table of Contents
This quinoa salad comes together in a few simple steps:
- Cook the quinoa, which is a process very similar to preparing rice. You can do this the day before and chill it overnight to save time the day-of if you like.
- Make the pesto, which is crazy simple in a food processor.
- Stir it all together.
I added in poached eggs for extra protein, so that would be step 4—but it’s a mostly hands-off step, so it doesn’t really add too much more work. I used some roasted zucchini that I had in the fridge, but chopped fresh zucchini would work just as well if you’re short on time. This grain salad would also be delicious with crumbled goat cheese, diced cheddar cheese, or salted almonds, so I let my little girl decide what she wanted on top of her bowl. I find that letting her weigh in on what she eats helps her feel like she has some power, which translates to much happier meals. (I also served the components in little piles so she could see clearly what was in her bowl.)
This year, we have been pumping up our pesto with kale since we have so much of it in the garden. I simply steam it and drain it before adding it into the food processor with the basil. Kale doesn’t really change the flavor of the pesto much, but it sure adds nutrition.
This quinoa salad was an easy weeknight dinner, ideal as we ease into the school year, and the leftovers made for a yummy lunch the next day. It would also make a wonderful addition to a potluck or barbecue—you can make the whole thing ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge until just before serving—so customize it for your family and enjoy!
Pesto Quinoa Bowls with Poached Eggs
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped and roasted zucchini
- ½ cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- Optional: Salted almonds, cheese, and/or 6 poached eggs, to top
- Place basil in a food processor. Add Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Cover and process until nearly smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of processor bowl as needed; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cooked quinoa, beans, sweet pepper, tomato, and green onions. Add basil mixture; stir to coat. Top quinoa mixture with poached eggs, almonds, and cheese, if desired.