This dish is called shawarma and is originally from the middle eastern but I made it with a twist and more healthy This delicious and fresh dish with different spices will have your taste buds put to work
Savory Chicken kebab with lemon zest wrapped in flatbread & french friesYum
- 1.1 lb lean chicken mince (whatever chicken mince works, for vegetarians tofu is a good substitute)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large red pepper (grill in the oven or buy already grilled pepper from store)
- 1 egg
- 1.69 cups of greek yoghurt (lactosfree works as well)
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 4 flatbread (I used one kind that is called lebanese bread. Just make sure it is thin bread so you can make a wrap)
- 1 lemon, zest and 1 tsp juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander (dry spice)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch of oarse ground black pepper
- crisphead lettuce (whatever you like works)
- cherry tomatoes
- 1 pot of fresh coriander
- olives (to serve on the side)
- 1 lime (to serve on the side)
- 0,55 lb french fries (to put in the flatbread and to serve on the side)
- about 4,22 canola oil (to fry the french fries, or just cook them in the oven if you want it healthier)
- Start the oven and put the heat on about 464 °Fahrenheit. Cut the pepper in 2 halfs and remove the insides of the pepper. Brush lightly with canola oil and a pinch of salt and then wrap the pepper in aluminum foil and put it on a pan and into the oven for about 20 minutes (depending on your oven). When the pepper is soft and looks a bit grilled and you can easily peel of the skin of the pepper it is done!
- Put the chicken mince in a bowl. Crack an egg and put it in the bowl. Grate the garlic cloves and put them in the bowl. Season with a pinch of salt, black pepper and a tsp of the dry coriander and cumin. Let it sit for a few minutes so all the flavours can mix together.
- While you are waiting for the pepper lets start slicing the vegetables. Slice the tomatoes and cucumber thinly and cut them into small pieces. Do the same with the salad. This way it will be easier to put them in the wrap later. Put all the vegetables in seperate bowls, same with the olives. Cut the lime into small wedges (to serve on the side).
- Put the greek yoghurt and mayonnaise in a bowl. grade the lemon zest and put it in the bowl as well. (one tsp of lemon juice as well). Put the olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper as well. Blend it all together. When the pepper is cooked let it cool down for a minute or two and then peel of the skin of the pepper and then cut it into small pieces and put it in the greek yoghurt bowl and mix.
- Put canola oil in a large skillet (if you are not using a deep fryer) and put the french fries in when the oil has heated up and about to sizzle.
- Heat up another skillet and put 2 tablespoons of canola oil in it and cook the chicken mince. Use a large spoon and work with the mince while it is cooking so it does not stick together into a big lump.
- Now that it is all done you can serve as it is and & everyone can make their own wraps. If you want to prepare them yourself start by putting the flatbread on a plate and spread the yoghurt on the bread, spread out some chicken mince, a little french fries and then vegetables and lastly some fresh coriander. roll it into a wrap and then cut into pieces (optional). Serve with some french fries on the side, lime wedges and olives.