A great crock pot beef stew recipe is essential for anyone who likes easy and healthful meals even though you are busy and on the run. Here a some that I am sure you and your family will want repeat performances of.
When I got my first crock pot, many years ago, I made some beef stew. It was terrible. It was watery and tasteless. I learned fast. When cooking with a crock pot you need to add different levels of flavorings.
I always prefer to brown the meat, usually in flour, prior to placing it in the crock pot for added flavor and color to the dish. With stews, you usually want to add something as a browning agent, like soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce or even some brown gravy mix.
Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 tbls canola oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup celery, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbl tomato sauce
- 1 tbl worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crushed
- 8 red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cups of water
- Heat oil over medium high heat in large skillet. Dredge meat in 1/4 cup of the flour and add to the skillet. Saute for 3 minutes, turning meat to brown on all sides. Add onions, carrots and celery and continue to saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- In slow cooker combine browned meat and sauted vegetables, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, Kitchen Bouquet, beef bouillon cube and potatoes. Pour water over ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender. When meat is tender, thicken stew gravy by dissolving 1/4 of flour in a small amount of water and pour into the slow cooker. Turn control to high. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until stew gravy has thickened.
- This beef stew is really delicious with some Pillsbury frozen Grand biscuits.