Savory Yankee pot roast recipe. It’s delicious and the oven does most of the work.
Just what is Yankee pot roast, you might ask? Actually the word “Yankee” originated in New England in early colonial times. Exactly how it became connected to the boiled dinner that the early colonial settlers prepared, I have never heard.
Yankee pot roast was cooked in a braising liquid with vegetables. It was a way for New Englanders to cook less tender cuts of meat for a longer period of time and produce a more tasteful yet economic meal.
Braising is flouring and browning meat in a fat. Then cooking or stewing it, covered, in a small amount of liquid with seasonal vegetables. The outcome is a more tender and juicy piece of meat.
This is a divine oven pot roast recipe. Hope you enjoy it.
Savory Yankee Pot Roast Recipe
- 3 lb roast (rump, chuck roast)
- 2 tbls canola oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 parsnips, peeled and halved
- Sprinkle roast with enough flour to cover. Pat roast to make flour stick. Heat oil over medium high heat in an oven proof pot (the pot should have a tight fitting lid). Brown the roast in the hot oil on all sides. Add beef broth, vinegar and bay leaf. Cover roast and cook at 300° for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, checking half way through cooking to make sure there is enough liquid in the pot. If more liquid is needed, add water or beef broth enough to keep liquid just around the bottom of the meat.
- After cooking time, remove meat from oven and turn oven up to 325°. You may need more liquid at this point. Add peeled and cut vegetables to pot. Cover and place back in the oven. Cook for another 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove roast from the oven. Cover meat and vegetables to keep warm. Place pot with drippings on stove. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour to 3/4 cup of water. Pour all at once into pot. Add gravy browning sauce if you feel you need it. Simmer gravy on medium-low heat until it begins to bubble and thicken. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Slice meat, serve on platter surrounded by the tender and tasty vegetables.