I like to spoil my book club members. They are always a well fed crowd.
I made some dumplings for Christmas Eve, but these were even better. Previously, I did not use enough oil in the pan and they tasted very dough-y. I tried to crinkle the edges of these to help increase the filling to dough ratio. And it was perfect. These were the perfect party food. They even tasted good when they were room temperature, although with the shrimp, I wouldn’t leave them out too long.
Oh, and don’t skip the dipping sauce. That stuff is awesome.
Shrimp and Pork Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound of shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage (Shred the rest and save it to serve the dumplings on. I forgot this!)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 green onion sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Spray a pan with cooking spray and cook pork and shrimp over medium heat.
- When pork and shrimp are almost finished cooking, add in cabbage, scallions, ginger, sesame oil, and mirin.
- Stir to combine and cook until pork and shrimp are cooked through.
- Dip your finger in water and run it along 2 adjacent sides of the wonton wrapper (be careful they stick together).
- Put a teaspoon size amount of meat mixture in the middle of the wonton wrapper.
- Bring the non-water sides with the water sides and pinch together to combine.
- In a large frying pan, use vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, carefully add wontons to the heated pan and cook on each side until brown. Don’t try to turn the wonton until it has browned or it will stick to the pan. This can be hard for the constant flippers!
- Once browned on all sides, removed to a paper towel lined plate.
- As you are cooking, make sure you have enough oil in the pan to cover the bottom. If not, the wontons will stick.
- If you need to keep the dumplings warm, place them on a cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven.
- To make the sauce, combine the last 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine.