Crock pot lima bean soup recipe, simple and quite yummy. Adding the cabbage gives it an extra texture and makes this a hearty and healthy soup that tastes quite divine.
Not everyone is a lima bean fan. But, I love lima beans and I love cabbage. So when my sister gave me this recipe, I said why not the two together and, in the crock pot no less. What could be easier? My sister’s recipes are always easy with just a few ingredients. She doesn’t really like to cook. But she likes to eat good food, as we all do. So when she thinks she has a recipe that I will like, I take notice. I think you will enjoy this simple and tasty soup.
You can also add some cubed ham for extra flavor, but this soup stands alone quite nicely.
Lima beans, like most legumes are a healthy source of many vitamins. The high cholesterol lowering fiber lima bean is a good choice for diabetics. The high fiber helps to absorb water in the stomach to form a gel that decreases the metabolic rate of the bean carbohydrates, preventing a spike in one’s blood sugar levels after a meal. Some studies have shown that a high consumption of legumes can lower the risk of heart disease by up to 80%. So, you might want to think about the addition of this energy packed bean to your diet.
Lima beans are high in protein, a great source of iron and are practically fat free. A 1/2 cup of cooked baby lima beans is power packed 108 calories.
Lima Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 can baby lima beans, drained
- 1 ham steak, cut in bite size pieces
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 1 carrot, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tbls stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Sort through beans, rinse well and drain.
- Cook ham in skillet until slightly browned.
- Place all ingredients in the crock pot and stir. If you are using the spinach, do not add at this time. Cover and cook on low for approximately 10 hours or until beans are tender. When beans are tender, add washed spinach and cook anther minute or two.
- Serve topped with some thinly grated jack cheese and some homemade croutons. (recipe for croutons is under “Healthy Soups” on this site)
Leave a Reply