I know, I know …. you are not too happy about summer getting over too soon. But look at the bright side. Fall will be here soon, and that means pumpkins, pumpkins and more pumpkins. Think of pumpkin pies, lattes and smoothies.
I cannot get enough of pumpkin during this festive season. I am starting my Fall with these delicious, melt in your mouth pumpkin spice muffins. These perfect for breakfast muffins, are so versatile and always come out so delish.
I always make some kind of variation every time I make a batch. If you want to make them healthy, you can add ground flax, oatmeal, wheatgerm, raisins etc. You can replace oil with applesauce or yogurt.
All the spices can be substituted with 6 or 7 tsps. of pumpkin pie spice. In this batch, I reduced the amount of sugar because I topped these muffins with sweet frosting. Kids love these little pumpkin cupcakes.
Enjoy these muffins / cupcakes during your Halloween or Thanksgiving celebrations.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- 15 ounces Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Rolled Oats White Sugar
- 2/3 cups Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cloves ground
- 2 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp Allspice ground
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a bowl, add whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, beat together pumpkin puree, vegetable oil and eggs.
- Add and stir pumpkin mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.