got this stuffed bell pepper recipe from my Mother. When I was younger and my Mom would make bell peppers, I would turn my nose up. I liked the filling but I hated green bell peppers. Now, some years later, stuffed bell peppers are one of my favorite meals.
I like to first boil and then fry the peppers prior to stuffing them. That is my taste. I like my peppers well done. Even though the recipe calls for parboiling and then frying, you can leave out the frying stage. It is not required to have good stuffed peppers.
These stuffed peppers freeze very well and make great leftovers.
The stuffing for these pepper is so delicious, that there are times when I don’t bother to pre-cook and stuff the peppers. while making the stuffing, I will cut up the peppers and fry them in a separate pan. Then mix them with the cooked meat and serve them in a sort of casserole fashion.
Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 14.5 oz can stewed italian style tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup quick cooking rice
- 4 thin slices of mozzarella cheese
- Cut the tops off of the bell pepper and parboil for about 5 minutes, until their dark green color starts to fade. Remove carefully from the water so as not stop split the peppers and drain on a paper towel.
- (This step is optional and can be skipped) Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a skillet. Add the peppers and fry on all sides until they are browned. When cooked, remove to drain on a paper towel.
- Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet. Add garlic powder, garlic salt, oregano, stewed tomatoes, 1 1/4 cups of the tomato sauce and the rice. Stir to blend well. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and cook another 5 minutes, making sure liquid is absorbed.
- Spray a glass baking dish, big enough to accommodate 4 bell peppers, with non-stick spray. Fill the peppers with the meat mixture and place in baking dish. Pour remaing tomato sauce over peppers. Cover baking dish and place in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover, top with cheese slices and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.