Remember that CSA I spoke of on Tuesday? This is another gem to showcase the beauty of summer vegetables. This salad is like biting into a summer garden (minus all the dirt and worms)! I made this salad for a picnic we had a few weeks ago. I like recipes that I can prep ahead of time and this one really held up. The day before the picnic, I cut all the veggies, put them in separate bags, and kept them in the fridge over night. I also made the dressing ahead of time. The day of the picnic, I poured the dressing into the bowl, then opened up each bag and dumped it into the bowl. On the day of the picnic, I had a salad ready to go in 2 minutes. What surprised me most though, was that this salad was just as good the next day. The vegetables used in this salad are harder and don’t get soggy after sitting in the dressing, so you could even make this a day ahead if you want.
Bonus: There is no mayo in this salad, so it can stand to sit out for a bit at your picnic!
Summertime Vegetable Salad Recipe
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 ears corn, cooked and removed from cob
- 1 pint tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the dressing in the bottom of the bowl you will be serving the salad in. Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, garlic, lime zest, and lime juice.
- Add in chick peas, corn, tomatoes, and zucchini.Toss veggies to coat in dressing.Mix in basil and chives.Season to taste with salt and pepper.This salad keeps best covered in the fridge!