Are you a crab lover? Well, this super easy crab dip recipe proves a great treat hot or cold for any seafood lover.
One thing you must know about preparing a successful crab dip. Don’t use canned crab meat. Unless you can find a canned crab meat that actually tastes like crab, you are better off trying to locate frozen or fresh crab. It has been my experience that using imitation crab is better than canned. Yes, that’s what I said. “Imitation crab tastes better than any canned crab I have ever happened upon.”
Of course, when it comes to crab, I am a connoisseur. You’ve got to love the sweet chunks of meat that come from the giant crab legs. I have been eating and cooking with it since I was a young girl. My Mom has been making her phenomenal crab spaghetti sauce for as long as I can remember. Yes, you read right, “crab spaghetti sauce“. So, I know a thing or two about crab, both in and out of the shell, frozen, fresh or canned.
Once, fresh crab was plentiful and easy to come by. That’s all I used in my cooking. However, times change and fresh crab in the shell is a little harder to obtain, depending on where you live, of course. I am many miles from the ocean, so if I want crab in the shell, I have to send away for it. Which I am gladly willing to do. If you live in an area where the availability of fresh seafood is abundant, please take advantage of it as often as you can. You don’t know how lucky you are.
Table of Contents
Super Easy Crab Dip Recipe
COLD CRAB DIP RECIPE
- 4 ozs sour cream or mayonnaise (the low fat is okay)
- 4 ozs of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 6 ounces cooked lump crab meat, shredded (not from the can please)
- 1 tbl fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tbl small onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbl chopped green onions
- Combine the sour cream and the cream cheese. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, mix until smooth. If it feels too thick for a dip, add another tablespoon of sour cream. Stir in the remaining ingredients and chill for about one hour before serving. I usually serve this dip with crackers or little toasted garlic rounds.
- In place of the cilantro and chopped onion, I sometimes add two rounded tablespoons of finely chopped or shredded cucumber. It’s very refreshing.2. Mix in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.3. In place of cilantro, try 1 teaspoon dried dill weed or 1 tablespoon of fresh basil.
HOT CRAB DIP RECIPE
- 8 ozs cream cheese
- 4 ozs sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 2 tbls of chili sauce or shrimp sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 8 ozs cooked lump crab meat or imitation
- a squeeze of lemon
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot over low heat. Stir occasionally. When melted and creamy, serve with a sturdy chip or fresh french bread chunks.
CRAB DIP RECIPE SPREAD
- 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese
- 1 tbl chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup un-dried tomatoes, in olive oil
- 1 cup lump crab meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbls chopped green onions or chopped black olives
- Soften cream cheese in the microwave for about 1 minute. In a food processor jar, combine cream cheese, onion, garlic powder and sun-dried tomatoes. Puree for a several seconds until tomatoes are well chopped but consistency is still thick. Add the crab meat and puree for another few seconds. Salt and pepper to taste. Place mixture in airtight container and chill for about an hour. Spread over pita chips or crackers and top with chopped green onions.