Delicious, authentic chile verde recipe. This recipe’s author was a very good friend of my Mother’s who came here from Mexico and brought with her a wealth of delicious Hispanic family recipes.
She reminded me of my Italian Grandmother who was always in the kitchen cooking some wonderfully aromatic concoction that we just couldn’t wait to get a taste of.
A large number of my Mexican recipes came from this woman. She was truly a gifted cook. I felt she was a wonderful woman and she was quite generous to share her recipes with me.
It really is the best chili verde I have ever tasted.
Tasty Authentic Chile Verde Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder or pork butt, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 8 tomatillos, husked and cut into quarters
- 2 tbls canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 fresh pablano chilis (dark green in color) roasted, skin and seeds removed, chopped (as a substitute you can use a New Mexico chilis, if you can find them, or the green canned chilis)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp crumbled mexican oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp crumbled mexican oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup canned green chili sauce (this was not orginally part of the recipe, I added this)
- 2 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth or 2 tsbs powdered chicken base dissolved in 3 cups of water
- Place the pork cubes and tomatillos into a 4qt pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the tomatillos and set aside. Continue to simmer the pork for an additional 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove pork from water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, if you are using fresh chilis, roast them under 500 degree broiler for 10 minutes, turning once during cooking. When chilis are roasted, place them immediately into a plastic bag for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove chilis from plastice bag, peel off the skin, seed and chop the chilis. Be sure to wash your hands immediately after this step. Touching the skin after handling chilis can really burn.
- Place chilis, tomatillos and 3/4 cup of chicken broth into a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of canola oil and saute the onions and garlic cloves. Add the meat, pureed chili mixture, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, green chili sauce and chicken broth.(When adding the chicken broth, use your own judgment. You may need more or less than called for.) Stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has absorbed and the sauce is thick. Check for seasoning. It may need salt. Serve with beans and rice.This chile verde recipe makes a great filling for burritos. With some cheese, cilantro and a squirt of lime, it is very tasty.