Table of Contents
Fantastic tasting authentic Italian bruschetta recipes. Simple is best when it comes to making bruschetta. My Italian Grandmother had the knack. She could whip up some delicious bruschetta in a few minutes and it was so scrumptious we just couldn’t stop eating it until the plate was empty.
I have experimented with different types of bruschetta, but I always come back to what I remember when I was a young girl.
Long before it was the popular appetizer it is now, I used to use the toaster to create my masterpieces. I was too young to use the oven to toast my bread. But being the born cook I am, of course, I found a way to make many tasty bruschetta treats at a very early age.
There are varied directions on how to make bruschetta the proper way. But, it happens to be one of those foods like pizza. It may be an Italian thing, but you can put any toppings you like on it, from pineapple to chicken.
Tasty Italian Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 baguette loaf of French or sourdough bread
- 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil (In my recipes, I do not call for “extra virgin” olive oil very often, but when it comes to making bruschetta, it makes a colossal difference. You want the “good stuff”.)
- 8 raw garlic cloves
- 4 tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, stems removed (Basil can be hot in taste. Prior to using your basil, sample it. If it is too hot, you may want to use less.)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 4 ozs thinly sliced Mozzarella cheese
- Slice the baguette in 1/2 inch slices on an angle. Toast bread slices in 350 degree oven. When bread is toasted, brush both sides generously with olive oil. Then, rub both sides of bread vigorously with garlic cloves. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, blanch the tomatoes, by cutting an X into the skin on the underneath side of each tomato. Drop them in boiling water for no longer than 15 seconds. Remove and drop the tomatoes in ice water to cool for a short time. Remove tomatoes from ice water. Peel skin starting at underneath side of the tomato where peel is loose. Chop tomatoes.
- Wash, dry and chop fresh basil. Combine tomatoes, basil and oregano. Salt to taste. Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on each slice of bread. Top liberally with the tomato and basil mixture and enjoy.
Leave a Reply